17 February 2023
Job Start Date:
As soon as possible
Initial one-year contract - with possibility of permanent contract (Part Time candidates may also be considered)
Grade 4 of the TI Ireland Pay scale.
69 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1 - Hybrid
Transparency Legal Advice Centre Overview
Transparency Legal Advice Centre (TLAC) is a not-for-profit, independent law centre registered with the Law Society of Ireland. We specialise in providing legal advice to workers in Ireland who are considering disclosing, or have already disclosed, suspected wrongdoing in their workplace under the Protected Disclosures Acts or as otherwise provided for in law. TLAC was established by Transparency International Ireland (TI Ireland), the Irish chapter of the global coalition against corruption. We work closely with TI Ireland and collaborate with and advise them on matters of mutual concern.
Primary Purpose of the Role
TLAC is seeking to recruit Legal Adviser to support a small team of lawyers and volunteers in the effective delivery of legal services to clients. TLAC does not provide litigation support to clients and the role does not involve litigation on behalf of workers. The position will report to the Managing Solicitor and support the running of the centre in pursuance of the charitable objectives of TLAC. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone who wishes to work in a developing and highly topical area of law.
Job specification: key responsibilities
- Engaging and meeting individuals in need of legal advice and establishing solicitor-client relationship as appropriate
- Drafting and supervision of the drafting of high-quality letters of advice, primarily on the application of the Protected Disclosures Acts and mandatory reporting obligations such as section 19 of the Criminal Justice Act 2011
- Ensuring that files are properly managed and that adequate and concise attendance notes are taken
- Contributing to ‘know-how’ resources and precedent database
- Keeping abreast of and presenting on relevant legal developments
Administration and fundraising
- Reporting on client data and satisfaction
- Preparing narrative and financial reports for donors where necessary
- Supporting the fulfilment of TLAC’s compliance obligations
- Supporting TLAC’s fundraising initiatives and contributing to activities to help sustain and strengthen TLAC’s operational capacity
- The ideal candidate must be a qualified solicitor/barrister with a practising certificate and eligible to practice in Ireland.
- They must have post-qualification experience practicing as lawyer, inhouse or in private practice.
- Energetic, friendly, persuasive, imaginative, diplomatic, tactful, enthusiastic and hard-working
- Proven ability to provide high-quality advice to clients who are individuals
- Excellent inter-personal and management skills
- Proven ability to manage and handle a high volume of cases, work under pressure, deal with multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Working knowledge of MS Office packages and ability to use time recording software and case management system
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong knowledge of employment law, including protected disclosures, data protection law and anti-corruption law in Ireland.
- Understanding of or experience with the compliance requirements of a charity.
- Professional or volunteer experience in a not-for-profit legal environment
Please send a CV and covering letter for the attention of Teresa Kelly, at email@example.com by 6pm on 17 February 2023. The email enclosing your CV and covering letter should have [LA/2023] in the subject line.
It is essential that the covering letter concisely addresses (in no more than two pages):
- Motivation for applying for the position; and
- Relevant experience for the role.
The CV should ideally be two pages long. CVs longer than three pages will not be considered. Experience should be presented in reverse chronological order and the names and positions of two referees should be provided. Contact details of referees are not necessary at this stage.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Transparency Legal Advice Centre is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to promoting a work environment free from discrimination on grounds of gender, civil/marital status, family status, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, disability, age or membership of the Traveller community.
As part of any recruitment process, TLAC collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. TLAC is committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and to meeting our data protection obligations. You can find more information in our Data Protection Policy.