Application Closing Date: 7 July 2017
Job Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Until the end of 2017 - with possibility of extension
Pay: Between €42,000 and €52,000 per annum (depending on experience and qualifications, to be paid pro rata from start date)
Transparency Legal Advice Centre is seeking a self-reliant solicitor with at least four years’ post-qualified experience to provide legal advice to whistleblowers. The successful candidate will report to Transparency Legal Advice Centre’s Managing Solicitor. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone looking to work in the non-profit sector.
Transparency Legal Advice Centre
Transparency Legal Advice Centre is a not-for-profit, independent law centre. Our vision is an Ireland where those who speak up about wrongdoing are treated fairly. We specialise in providing legal advice to anyone who wishes to disclose wrongdoing, under the Protected Disclosures Act 2014 or as otherwise provided for in law. We also provide advice to those who have already made a disclosure. Transparency Legal Advice Centre is supported by Transparency International Ireland, the Irish chapter of the global coalition against corruption.
Job specification: key responsibilities
- Meeting individuals in need of legal advice and establishing solicitor-client relationship as appropriate
- Calculating and recording critical dates
- Drafting high-quality letters of advice, primarily on the application of the Protected Disclosures Act 2014 and mandatory reporting obligations such as section 19 of the Criminal Justice Act 2011
- File management, including drafting adequate but concise attendance notes
Teamwork and networking
- Participating in weekly casework meetings with the Managing Solicitor
- Assisting with engaging with external stakeholders including other legal practitioners, other independent law centres, employers, trade unions, law enforcement agencies and regulators
- Contributing to ‘know-how’ resources and precedent database
- Keeping abreast of and presenting on relevant legal developments
Administration and fundraising
- Maintaining timesheets
- Assisting in the preparation of narrative and financial reports for donors where necessary
- Contributing to pitches if required
Person specification: key attributes
- Fully qualified solicitor, in possession of a practising certificate from the Law Society of Ireland
- At least four years’ post-qualification experience as a practising solicitor (essential)
- Energetic, enthusiastic and hard-working
- Proven ability to manage and handle a high volume of cases, work under pressure, deal with multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Proven ability to provide high-quality advice to clients who are individuals
- Working knowledge of MS Office packages, time-recording and case management software
- Understanding of the valuable contribution of whistleblowers to society and driven to assist them
- Experience and/or understanding of employment, whistleblower, criminal and anti-corruption law in Ireland or the UK is desirable.
Please send a CV and covering letter to Susheela Math, Managing Solicitor, at email@example.com by 12pm on Friday7 July 2017. It is essential that the covering letter concisely addresses (in no more than two pages):
- Motivation for applying for the position; and
- Relevant experience for the role.
The CV should ideally be two pages long. CVs longer than three pages will not be considered. Experience should be presented in reverse chronological order and the names and positions of two referees should be provided. Contact details of referees are not necessary at this stage.
The selection process will involve at least one interview and a written exercise.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Transparency Legal Advice Centre is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to promoting a work environment free from discrimination on grounds of gender, civil/marital status, family status, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, disability, age or membership of the traveller community.